1. Know your sun equation The SPF of a sunscreen refers to the amount of time it will protect you from UV rays. If it takes you 10 minutes to burn without sunscreen, applying SPF 15 leaves you with a maximum sun exposure time of 150 minutes. Similarly, SPF 30 will max your sun exposure to 300 minutes.
2. Know your product Read the list of ingredients to see if it has broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Make sure the product contains avobenzone, ecamsule, titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide for significant UVA protection.
3. Put on twice as much Don’t skimp on sunscreen. Most women apply barely one-quarter or half of the required amount, which makes your sunscreen ineffective, bringing your SPF 30 down to a 10. If you need to get the level of SPF you see on the label, spread it on like a layer of vanilla frosting.
4. Re-apply Sunscreen should be applied every two hours during prolonged exposure. Swimming, sweating, and rubbing your face will let the lotion wear off quicker than you anticipate. Re-application is key, set a phone alarm if you have to!
5. Cover more than your face Before getting dressed, cover exposed skin with sun lotion. It’s not only your face that is exposed to the sun, but also your neck, chest, shoulders and back.
6. Don’t towel off Sunscreens are water-resistant for 40 to 80 minutes. Once you step out of the water, if you towel-dry yourself, you are taking off all the sunscreen. Instead, let the water bead up on your skin, which will also keep you cooler!
Our top 7 picks
1. Dermalogica Protection 50 Sport
Perfect for sport enthusiasts, the light-weight formula does its best to bind in the moisture, without a greasy after-feel.
2. Skeyndor Sun Expertise Protective Sun Emulsion SPF 30
With a combination of classic built-in filters and its low-whitening effect, staying sun safe is easy.
3. Avène Very High Protection Spray SPF 50
With no white residue, the spray is convenient for overall body application while providing serious sun protection.
4. Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50
This fragrance-free product protects you against 90 percent skin-ageing. Layer it over your moisturizer or simply under make-up.
5. Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Defense SPF 45
With Clinique’s new Invisible Screen formula, this cream glides on smoothly and is virtually invisible on all skin tones.
6. Lakmé 9 to 5 Super Sunscreen SPF 50
A sheer product that gives you a gorgeous finish along with super sun protection, it’s a must-have for those who are tired of layering product after product.
7. L’Oréal Paris UV Perfect Aqua Essence SPF 30
This feather-light gel composition feels like water when applied on skin. The fresh liquid will not just sun-protect you but also leave you happily hydrated.
Related posts from Verve:
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends