The Other Self of Seema Kohli
What is the self? What is the true meaning of beauty? Are we spiritual beings? If you’ve ever pondered over these questions, then you can’t miss acclaimed artist and Verve 20th anniversary issue contributor Seema Kohli’s latest solo show. Titled The Other Self, the exhibition includes a collection of etchings, drawings and sculptures that explore themes of beauty, sensuality, spirituality and being. Through her intricate artworks, Kohli renders a fantastical world of myths and legends.
5 Questions with the artist, Seema Kohli
- Artistic Motivations “Life itself motivates me to create art…the trees, the plants on my balcony, my pet Fido, the people around me, the breeze, the sea, the ocean…”
- Inspirations “I try to communicate with things and express myself in my ‘language’ of art. I find inspiration in everything.”
- On the wall at home “I have a lot of unknown artists from various parts of the world – Bali, Venice, Florence, Lijiang and also sculptures from Orissa and Kerala. I also have works of Somnath Hore, Rajiba Pani, V Vishwanathan, and some young artists like Dilip Chaubasia.”
- Concerns that find a place in your art “Peace and love.”
- If not an artist, you would be… “I cannot think of any other way I’d live my life…”
The Other Self is on display at Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai (Kala Ghoda, Fort) until December 7, 2015 and at Gallery Art & Soul, Mumbai (1, Madhuli, Shiv Sagar Estate, Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli) from December 8, 2015 to January 3, 2016.
Related posts from Verve:
Sorry. No data so far.
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends