Go Back In Time With A Retrospective Of Designer Elsie Nanji’s Work
Buy a box of delicious Theobroma brownies, and you can’t miss the cute artwork on the lid. You have designer and advertising maverick Elsie Nanji to thank for that. Now, catch a glimpse of all her creative campaigns at a retrospective of her work, that chronicles the best from the last four decades. Having worked with great minds from the worlds of photography, film, creative writing, art and architecture, Nanji’s images and ideas present a unique aesthetic. Celebrate her journey with a viewing of these inspiring designs.
5 Questions with Elsie Nanji
- Artistic motivations: “I am motivated every day by things I see and by people around me – an urchin selling books in the rain, packaging them so they are safe and dry; the wild green foliage in the monsoon while driving every weekend to Kashid; a ray of light peeking through my curtain early in the morning…anything small and insignificant.”
- Inspirations: “I am subliminally drawn to nature, trees, seashells, birds and to the beautiful outdoors. I am inspired by artists and designers who weave this magic into their work, like Ross Lovegrove, whose organic design meets technology and gives rise to an exceptional product.”
- On the wall at home: “I intersperse my children’s drawings, beautiful photographic prints, and paintings all with the same reverence, alongside a beautiful pebble or coral from my last holiday. I have no favourites, just emotional attachments.”
- Challenges: “Helping my 92-year-old mom with her recipe book, 69 rejected illustrations, 3 font size changes, and innumerable cover options and changes…it finally got launched last week, after 3 years of painstakingly detailed work.”
- If you weren’t in the creative field, you would have been…“nowhere!”
Elsie Nanji, A Retrospective – 4 Decades of Design, Advertising and Art Direction is on display at Camelot 127, Mumbai (Next to Om Chambers, Kemps Corner) from August 5-7, 2016.
Related posts from Verve:
Sorry. No data so far.
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends