For most people, the greatest escape from mundane or routine lives is to delve into stories or unexplored worlds. But artists find another way – they can create their own fantasies. In the same vein, reputed contemporary painter Sakti Burman, presents a new solo show titled A Private Universe. The artworks include paintings of legends, mythology, fantasy landscapes, and ancient tales of romance, for viewers to lose themselves in. Some early, never-seen-before works are also a part of the exhibition, which also includes sculptures created by the artist.
5 Questions with the artist, Sakti Burman
- Artistic Motivations “In my childhood, I saw my brother painting on an empty eggshell. I looked at that with fascination – how an empty space was being filled with wonderful things. Since then, I liked drawing and all my life I continued to draw…I can’t pinpoint why.”
- Inspirations “In the beginning it was my brother. I grew up in a large family and we had festivities and poojas when women would create alpana designs and drawings in the courtyard, of Gods, Goddesses and animals – that has stayed in my memory. I’m also inspired by Matisse, Van Gogh and Piccasso and many other artists I learnt about while studying in France. Now, nature inspires me too.”
- On the wall at home “I have a small etching by Picasso, some miniature paintings, folk art and Kalighat paintings. Also works by my wife (Maite Delteil), daughter (Maya Burman), and niece (Jayasri Burman).”
- Concerns that find a place in your art “There are so many things going on in the world, like war. At times like these, when you think about how so many are dying, you wonder how you will be able to paint. But one thing never stops – love and hope. Even after you open the Pandora’s Box, good things remain. I paint the hope that people have.”
- If you weren’t an artist you would be…“I always want to paint, and inspire people.”
A Private Universe is on display at Art Alive Gallery, New Delhi (S-221, Panchsheel Park), until March 4, 2015.
Related posts from Verve:
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends