Explore Gender Issues With Katharina Kakar’s Art
Click on any image to view larger gallery
No matter where you are and what you do, you’d know that gender issues – rape, female foeticide, domestic neglect and abuse – are rampant across the world. Giving a voice to these problems is Goa-based German artist Katharina Kakar, in her first solo show.
In Crossing the Lakshmana Rekha: Shakti, Sensuality, Sexuality, Kakar creates drawings, sculptures and mixed media installations to address the issues that women face in the 21st century. Says curator Alka Pande about Kakar’s creations, ‘To hang or lay, to place or suspend are integral parts of the works, the artist’s personal reading of her art, making the dense obscurity of sophisticated cultures accessible. Her works are cheerful, provocative, sexy and scary at the same time.’
5 Questions with the artist, Katharina Kakar
- Artistic Motivations “Playing with materials and creating visual bodies around themes that matter to me, gives me great pleasure – that in itself is a strong drive.”
- Inspirations “I am inspired by people, who live life on their own terms, without harming others – people who stand up for themselves and others and find ways of transforming our perceptions. In my personal life, my husband Sudhir Kakar has been an enduring source of love, insight, and support – we are a continuous inspiration for each other.”
- On the wall at home “I am drawn to artists whose works would not fit into my home – they are either too large, performance based, or not meant to be on a wall…”
- Concerns that find a place in your art “Man-made injustice, such as gender or caste issues. We should work towards equal opportunity for everybody in life. My next subject I will tackle through art will be death – the great equaliser in life.”
- If not an artist, you would be… “Still an artist. The art of life matters: creative engagement, whether in writing, in visual arts or in the way I handle my daily life. For me, being creative is the most satisfying approach to life.”
Crossing the Lakshmana Rekha: Shakti, Sensuality, Sexuality is on display at Visual Arts Gallery, New Delhi (India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, Near Airforce Bal Bharati School) until November 30, 2015.
Related posts from Verve:
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends