Rise of the Guardians
While we may have spent Earth Day taking the Google ‘What animal are you?’ quiz, we have unfortunately eclipsed the bigger picture. Little do we know about endangered species, deforestation and the grave environmental issues circling our planet.
The UNESCO World Heritage Centre represents the world’s cultural and natural diversity, including 47 marine sites. Jaeger-LeCoultre has been supporting UNESCO to protect these underwater treasures and marine life. This year, the luxury brand is helping raise awareness about Glacier Bay National Park in south-east Alaska.
Glacier Bay is a visual treat for wildlife fanatics with snow-covered peaks, glaciers and rainforests. Get a glimpse of the Steller sea lions, humpback whales, and the flora and fauna in a short video titled The Guardians.
Sydney Smith rightly said, “It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little. Do what you can.” We give you a few pointers so that you can do your bit to save these natural reserves.
So, what can you do?
1. Reduce the use of plastic. Statistics say that 50-80% of marine debris are plastic. Marine animals often mistake it for food and can end up choking or getting entangled in this toxic mess. So, make sure you follow the green rule of ‘Reduce’, ‘Reuse’ and ‘Recycle’.
2. Be energy efficient. The less you consume energy, the less our climate will heat up. Thus you will actually be saving these glaciers from melting.
3. Eat sustainable seafood. This would be the last thing you will Google, but you should know that excessive fishing is one of the many marine concerns, and this could result in major habitat damage.
4. Keep beaches and waterways clean.
5. Dispose off waste in an environment-friendly way. There is a reason we were taught to segregate garbage as ‘dry waste’ and ‘wet waste’.
6. Use fewer chemicals in your garden and home products. Pesticides and insecticides have a way of entering sewages, and ultimately make their way to the ocean causing environmental damage. Try using as many eco-friendly products as possible.
7. Get involved. Instead of the usual mall-hopping, you could spend a weekend participating in a beach clean-up, or support an ocean conservation group.
Watch the video here:
Related posts from Verve:
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends