Explore Every Place With Ratna Khanna
In her new show, Delhi-based artist Ratna Khanna takes a look at the complexities of everyday life, through a series of drawings, sculptures and photographs. Every Place explores perception and reality, while portraying themes of natural environment, spatial ambiguity and geography. After all, what better way to create a better world than the use of human imagination?
5 Questions with the artist, Ratna Khanna
- Artistic Motivations “I have been immersed in it from my childhood, it has never been separate from me. That said, my work deals a lot with the environment so the state of things as they stand and a desire of changing the attitudes towards issues surrounding nature/culture are very important to me. I love the process of making art; there is immense pleasure in holding a pencil and making a mark on the paper, so pleasure is a motivator.”
- Inspirations “Nature is always a great source for silence and contemplation. Certain artists like Marina Abramovic’s patience inspires me, the colour the painter Euan Uglow uses, the silence from Nasreen Mohamedi’s work.”
- On the wall at home “Olafur Eliasson (probably would require a massive home for his work!), Nasreen Mohamedi, Euan Uglow and why not Marina Abramovic, which will mean she will have to live with me!”
- Concerns that find a place in your art “The condition of our built and natural environment like I stated before. The attitudes of people have to change before the outside can change. We have to transcend things within ourselves first.”
- If not an artist, you would be… “A deep sea animal!”
Every Place is on display at Galerie Mirchandani + Steinruecke, Mumbai (2 Sunny House, 16/18 Mereweather Road, Colaba) until March 31, 2016.
Related posts from Verve:
us on Facebook to stay updated with the latest trends